Saturday, June 20, 2020

Dawn of Dae by R.J. Blain

Dawn of Dae (Dae Portals Book 1) by [R.J. Blain, Trillian Anderson]

3 Stars

Alexa Daegberht knew the world had change when her macaroni and cheese started calling her mommy.  She thought her biggest issue in life was going to be getting herself out of poverty and into a different caste.  Now there are vampires and shape shifters.  People who can light the world on fire.  The world has changed but is it for the better?

I wanted to like this book more than I did.  This was a rerelease of a book that R.J. Blain had published years ago.  She expanded and updated it.  I hadn’t read the previous book, so I came into this with an open mind.  In the author note she stated this book led to her Magical Romantic Comedy with a Body count and I can see how this book influenced that series.  Even with how much I love that series This book needed more work.  The beginning was a bit confusing like you should already know the world building that was there.  I wanted to know about the caste system that was in place and the steps Alexa took to raise herself up out of the lower caste.  You got bits and pieces throughout the story but until some of it was explained I was confused.  There was also a pacing issue.  There seemed to be a couple different story lines and she was going along on one and realized she should have been working on a different one so she would switch over and it was a bit jarring.  I also felt the ending was rushed and unfinished.  I also questioned why Alexa and Rob got together.  He decided they were going to be together and that was that.  She may have argued a little bit but ultimately ends up in bed with him.  She knows nothing about him other than her skeevy boss is scared of him.  There are so many other things I have questions on and no answers.  It was an interesting concept so I will check out the second book.

Book 1 of Dae Portals


No comments:

Post a Comment