Sunday, July 5, 2020

Slaying Monsters for the Feeble by Annette Marie

image.png


3 Stars

Robin and company are back looking for how to release Zylas so he can go home.  Robin is also trying to track her uncle down before the bad guys since he has a book that might help.  She has to do all of this while dealing with an increase of Vampires in the city that need to be taken out.  Robin will need to deal with all of this while keeping her secret.

 

This is a very weak 3 stars for me.  I found Robin to be very annoying.  She just whined throughout the whole book.  She is so weak and can’t defend herself…oh woe is me I can’t protect myself.  She kept going on about it but never took steps to change that.  Robin also seemed to not understand that Zylas didn’t have the same morals as she does so when he says he would kill someone she threatened not to help him.  This broke trust and she couldn’t understand why he was so mad at her about this.  The other big issue was personality of characters shifted.  In the first book the uncle was a major dick that you hoped would get his comeuppance well in this book he’s a shadow of himself.  He’s all about handing the book over to his niece and just wants to be a family.  Characters can change but you have to explain or show why the shift happened otherwise you confuse your readers.  I was also confused by why Zora was able to threaten Robin with exposer.  The head of the guild knows everything so why not go to him.  Instead they set the next book up to her being monitored by Zora.  It disregards plot points from the first book.  The book also felt like it took forever to get to the point and I struggled with getting through it.  It was a little disappointing since I really liked the first book.  I still will check out the next book since I already bought it but I will wait to see if I like that one to buy the fourth book.

 

 

Book 2 Guild Codex: Demonized

No comments:

Post a Comment