Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Cupcake Caper by Kelle Z. Riley Book 1 – 3*

Dr. Bree Mayfield- Watson is a chemist who stumbles across her dead boss. Police suspect she is the murder and she is set on finding out who did it.

I enjoyed Bree’s interactions with the other characters. She was smart but not obnoxious about it. It was written well and had good pacing. I never felt like the book needed to move on because I was getting bored with it.

For how smart Bree is supposed to be she made some very dumb decisions. I get her wanting to look into who murdered her boss particularly when the cops accuse her of being the murder. However, even after they accuse her of it she talks to them freely. Why wouldn’t she have a lawyer with her? Also she found out some very big things and doesn’t take it to the cops even though she has their contact information. My other issue with the story was with a character that I assume is going to be a love interest. He breaks into her place and bugs her home and office to find out information for his employer. Ethics aside of breaking into someone’s home he just comes across as a creep but it is hinted that they might become a couple in a later book. My last issue was with her name. She was very selective on whom she would correct on her name and it became tiresome to listen to her say her name wasn’t Dr Watson but Dr Mayfield-Watson. I don’t know if the police did it to get under her skin but Bree made a big deal out of it a couple times and then just let it go.

Even though there were some major points I found irritating as an amateur sleuth the story was interesting and getting to the end was worth the read. I am hoping some of the other issues will be worked out in the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment