Thursday, January 21, 2021

Dirty Deeds by Faith Hunter, Diana Pharaoh Francis, Devon Monk, R.J. Blain

 











Overall Score 3 Star

This is a collection of short stories from existing series.  I've read all of the authors and liked their writing so I was very excited to read this book.  Some of the series the shorts were based off of I haven't read so the shorts didn't make sense.  This is very much a collection that you need to have read the books to understand what is going on in the story.  The one exception was R.J. Blain's story.  I 'm going to give a brief synopsis and then review the books individually.

Sealed with a Twist by Devon Monk

4 Star

Life in Ordinary is anything but ordinary.  Since Delaney Reed took over as Sheriff she hasn't had a day off.  Her fiancĂ© Ryder wants one weekend away with just her.  With the Gods' powers being transferred and some cursed objects being released to the public will Ryder be able to drag Delaney away?  

Other than this book giving away everything from the rest of the series I enjoyed this book immensely.  I liked the characters, and the town, as well as, the storyline.  I did double check to make sure I owned the first book in the series to read as I want to know how we got to this story.  

At Death's Door by Devon Monk

3 Star

Than is asked to watch Delaney's dog and pet Dragon while she takes her weekend away.  What will happen with these three while Delaney is away?

This was really a none story.  It was about the length of a chapter and it literally just describes what happens when Than pet sits for Delaney.  That is literally it.

Wouldn't necessarily call this a separate story from the Sealed with a twist but ok.  It was interesting to see what Death was 

Bound into Darkness by Faith Hunter 

4 Star

Liz is offered a job to track down a missing dog.  She needs back-up and asks Eli for help.  What should have been an easy job turned into something so much more.

I actually enjoyed this one a lot.  I forgot how much I enjoy the writing and this book made me want to go back and read the series it is a part of.  It was also one of the only books that 1. didn't ruin the rest of the series, and 2. could some what stand alone without prior knowledge of the series.  I enjoyed the interaction between Liz and Eli.  The only question I walked away with was how Liz was blood poisoned.  I assume it was explained in a previous book.

The Ties That Bind by Faith Hunter

3 Star

Bedelia severed her relationship with Linc years ago.  When Linc decides to reveal all of the secrets between them will they be able to move on from their past for a happy future?

This was similar to At Death's Door.  It's an interest interlude between Bedelia and Linc.  It explains them getting back together after being torn apart by Bedelia's daughter.  Linc explains what happened between him and the daughter and wanted to start over.  It was interesting to read and I would have probably connected more with it if I had read the previous books that dealt with their relationship.  I remember the daughter and I vaguely remember what was happening with her in the last book I read but not all of the details.

Pixie Job by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Mallory Jade are in Effrayant with Law Stranger for a wedding.  She's not sure if Law is going to stick around and He's not sure she's not going to run off and disappear on him again.  He's trying to keep everyone safe and sound for the wedding between a pixie and a giant.  

DNF - was too confused over what was going on as the first book came out several years ago and I can't remember if I read it.  I love her books so I will be reading that book and will update this when I've read it.

Doggone Mess by R.J. Blain

2 Star

Joyce works a minimum wage job as a single unmated shifter.  Hiding who she is from everyone.  She loves to torment Wayne when he stops by to offer her a deal to move from her apartment so he can tear the building down.  When Joyce is offered a contract to kidnap Wayne and keep him out of the city for 72 hours for $20,000 she jumps at the offer.  What she doesn't expect is chaos to irrupt.  

This book suffers from the recent issues her other books have had.  It has good bones and then it veers into the mundane.  There is yet more shopping...why so much shopping.  When the book feels like it is finally getting good it ends.  No conclusion to the story at all.  We are supposed to wait until Blain gives them their full length story sometime in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment