Saturday, May 7, 2016

Inheritance – Christopher Paolini – 2*


Inheritance – Christopher Paolini – 2*
I wish I'd read the reviews of this book before purchasing it. But as a fan of the first three I pre-ordered it. Like everyone else I was anxiously waiting to see how the series ended and when I finally got it and began reading it was very disappointed. The story was very stagnant and felt like it wasn't going anywhere.

Spoiler

Through most of the first half of the book I kept thinking can we move on already. It felt like there was no movement in the story. It finally picked up about when Nasuada was kidnapped but then felt it kept getting bogged down with the details through the rest of the book.

There were also too many questions left unanswered. In addition to unanswered questions I wanted to know why there was so many scenes that weren't vital to the overall story.

There were a lot of fight scenes that didn't move the story forward. Though I love Roran most of his fight scenes didn't help the story at all. What was the point of these scenes other than to increase page length.

Galbatorix claimed to have spies high up in the rebellion but we never find out who any of them are. When Eragon entered the castle to take him out Galbatorix already knew he was coming and with the dragons but we never found out who told him. There was only about a handful of people who could have told him but we don't find out who.

Another issue I had was with how Arya handles the hatching the last egg Galbatorix had. Even after all the things Eragon and Arya have been through she couldn't tell him what happened or the fact that the elves make her there queen. It is months later that he finds out right before she tells everyone. There are a number of ways she could have told him that other people wouldn't have been able to intercept but she chose not to tell him. I also didn't like how the relationship between them ended.

One of the biggest issues I had with the ending was the fact that after all this fighting Eragon and Saphira end up being banished. Yes it was a self banishment but couldn't all of the people who wanted him to stay have gotten together and come up with a solution to keep him closer. Nasuada kept trying to give him things. Why couldn't she have gifted him land that wasn't to close to anyone which was his biggest reason for leaving.

Overall I am VERY disappointed with this story and want my time back.

No comments:

Post a Comment