Monday, November 23, 2020

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott, and Illustrated by Harmony Becker

 

5 Star

This is a graphic memoir of George Takei’s childhood during World War II when his family was transported to an internment camp for the Japanese.  It shows the joys and terrors those being held went through.  The issues of legalized racism.  As well as the choices his parents had to make to keep themselves safe and together.

First the story.  I picked this up for my job and when it came in, I ended up not being able to put it down.  The story was well written and heartbreaking.  The more I read the angrier I became.  I don’t really remember learning much about the internment camps other than a foot note so seeing it laid out in this graphic novel was stunning.  If there was a number bigger than five this book would get it.

Now the graphics.  I’ve never seen anything else illustrated by Harmony Becker but her pictures were amazing.  There were so many details in her pictures even when it was just an individual in the panel.  The images enhanced the story and made it that much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment