Saturday, April 13, 2019

From Breath and Ruin - Carrie Ann Ryan - 2 star


Lyric has graduated from high school and is at loose ends.  She doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.  She is struggling with nightmares and seeing things that aren't there.  After she is injured on a hike she discovers there is magic.

She discovers that 500 years ago in the Maison Realm there was warring kingdoms that lead to a split between the light and the dark.  Both groups send people into the human realm looking for the prophesied Spirit Priestess who will reunite the Maison Realm.

I really wanted to like this book and I didn't.  It was slow going and I didn't like Lyric.  I found her to be very whiny and it was hard to listen to her inner dialogue about what she should and shouldn't do.  How her ex-girlfriend is wonderful but won't be around for much longer.  How hot the neighbor guy is and how she wants him but she isn't sure he wants her.  It was very teen angst and when I am reading or listening to a book there is only so much I can deal with angst before I check out of the book.  I made it a quarter of the way through before I was done with the angst and started skimming the book to see if it got better.  It didn't.  I like the writer and will try her next book in the series to see if this was just a one off since it was a new genre for her and I do want to know how the series ends.

I listened to this book.  Bailey Carr was the narrator and she did an amazing job with the voices for the different characters.  She made the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment